December 05, 2012

Chia Seeds...

I went to my friend’s charity yoga event in the summer. The total event was two hours; one hour being my friend giving an introduction to yoga and the other hour having a registered nutritionist giving us some insight how to get the most out of the meals we eat. The charity was called Biking for Bellies but they changed it to Yoga for Bellies for the event. It is a program to bring funding to school kids in the school system across the Greater Toronto School District. Some of these kids only get one meal a day and their mission is to make the most of that meal and have it extremely nutrient dense to get the most out of it.

I was really happy to support my friend in her aspiring yoga career but I also got a lot from the nutritionist. She was a really enthusiastic person and you could tell she loved what she did for a living. She wasn’t trying to shove organic and holistic down our throats like what most of that industry does. She was really supportive of peoples lifestyles that don’t sleep, breath and obsess about nutrition. She really seemed to understand where other people were coming or starting from. She really believed in her approach to nutrition and if she just gave us a few suggestions we would all follow suit because, in her eyes, it was such a great way to live.

I was really interested in what she had to say because she was being supportive instead of "you can’t eat that, you can’t use this, you’re so full of toxins and have zero nutrients in anything you eat unless you do it MY way" She understood that we were not all going to switch to organic food on our next grocery trip but instead she gave us some suggestions on a few foods. If we were going to make an organic choice, certain foods would be ideal because they have a higher toxic rating based on how they are grown commercially. She even admitted that the organic industry is totally out of whack and that some produce bought 'organically' is just a huge waste of money. Her main suggestion was potatoes because the skin is so thin and it sits in the soil and absorbs everything in the soil for its entire growth period. That’s all she asked us to change about our grocery habits for now. Asking people to change one thing is much easier to do than asking someone to change everything all at once.

She made us a positively delicious quinoa beet salad and a really yummy avocado smoothie recipe that was so nutrient dense it could last us until lunch time. The smoothie had kale, avocado, coconut milk, protein powder, beets, blueberries, honey and Chia seeds! Sounds weird but it was awesome!

I thought I had never heard of Chia seeds before until I remembered CHA-CHA-CHA-CHIA!

But to eat??? I am not a nutritionist so this is just what I am reading from the Internet but apparently, they are one of the most nutrient dense foods per ounce out there. They go way back to Aztec and Mayan times and they were used by Aztec warriors to stave off starvation during rough times in battle. It is said that a tablespoon can sustain someone for a full 24 hours.

Chia's have more Omega-3's than flax and because they are so rich in antioxidants they do not deteriorate or go rancid as quickly as flax seeds. They are quite easy to store. They are also have a ton of fibre which aids in weight loss and digestion/regularity. Add that they have a ton of plant based protein, more potassium than a banana and they are virtually tasteless to this little seeds list of achievements and you have a Superfood! I have also read, from some sources, that they are good for joint pain as well due to all the Omega-3's. I had to get me some! I went to my local Whole Foods to get some seeds to start experimenting with.

These little buggars are cool! I have tried eating them raw, in water, in oatmeal, smoothies, sprinkled on my eggs, on toast, on my veggies and well basically everything! I have also made Chia Gel with natural fruit juice to make a Jell-O type treat. Watch here on how to make Chia Gel.

I think what I like most is how easy they are too use. It’s a no brainer Super food. You don’t have to soak or grind anything up before you use it. I tried getting into flax but I always found it to cumbersome to drag out the grinder to grind them up JUST before, so I usually opted not to use them. With Chia's, I make my food then go to the cupboard and throw a couple tablespoons on and then enjoy a nutritious meal. I also like to use them in a breakfast shake with protein and greens+ powder when I haven’t done my grocery run for the week and I am running a little low on actual food.

Now for the benefits. I am not one to jump on the Superfood Bandwagon but man I am on the Chia Seed train, first stop AwesomeVille! When I use these little guys regularly everything is better. I have a ton of energy, poops I'm proud of (sorry), glowing skin and maybe it's wishful thinking but less back pain.  I want to eat less and seem to reach more for the healthy food than junk food. I feel good so its easier to make better choices.  It also helps with bloating and water retention. I started with the 1-2 tablespoons a day to start but had to reduce in the beginning as they were really kicking my digestive system into high gear, if you know what I mean :) Now I can use 1-2 tablespoons no problem. If you start using them, start slowly.

Now go slather some Chia seeds on your Chia pet and then toss some into your next breakfast! I think you will really enjoy them!
 
Namaste xo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment